Vancouver Island Poker Run

Event announcements and discussions

Moderators: Jeff Rowland, CZVR Admin Staff, Facility Engineer

Brad Crockett
Site Admin

Vancouver Island Poker Run

Post by Brad Crockett » 23 Jul 2019, 21:24

The Vancouver Island Poker Run will be held Saturday August 10, 2019 4-8 PM Pacific (2300-0300Z). Here are the positions:
  • CYYJ_TWR
  • CYQQ_TWR
  • CYYJ_APP
  • CYCD_FSS (connect as CYCD_TWR, 122.10, Facility TWR, description "Nanaimo Radio") to run Nanaimo FSS (S2 rating preferred).
  • CYAZ_RCO (connect as CYZT_TWR, 123.25, Facility TWR, description "Hardy Radio") to run Port Hardy FSS and the Tofino RCO (S2 rating required).
  • CAT4_MF (connect as CAT4_MF, 122.80, Facility TWR, description "Qualicum Traffic") to light up the Qualicum MF. An S1 would be fine here but note that you will only provide a live com channel and record event landings - no controlling.
  • CBS8_ATF (connect as CBS8_ATF, 123.00, Facility TWR, description "Alberni Traffic") to light up the Port Alberni ATF. Again, an S1 would be fine here but you will only provide a live com channel and record event landings - no controlling.
Here's what pilots can expect:
Fly IFR or VFR, any aircraft type. Four of the fields are uncontrolled but staffed. Make your calls on the following stations: Alberni traffic (ATF), Qualicum traffic (MF) (don't expect the staff manning these two frequencies to respond), Hardy Radio on the Tofino RCO (RCO) - expect Remote Aerodrome Advisory Service. Nanaimo Radio (FSS), expect FSS advisory services. When you land at a qualifying airport between 2300 and 0300z and are clear of the maneuvering area, ask the staff manning the frequency for a card! Please be patient while the card is generated and relayed to you.

The qualifying aerodromes are CYYJ, CYQQ, CYCD, CYAZ, CAT4, and CBS8. The top three hands will be announced on the frequency.
I'll be running a random card generator, one deck at a time. Call/text me with the pilot's callsign for a card, I'll generate it and record it, you can then advise the pilot what the card is. I'll stream the results on twitch.tv/czvr.
Brad Crockett
CZVR Chief

Brad Crockett
Site Admin

Re: Vancouver Island Poker Run

Post by Brad Crockett » 27 Jul 2019, 06:27

Thanks to two visiting controllers we have enough signups to squeak by. There will be no relief staff and it's a long event, but we're a 'go' with some of the nice-to-haves un-staffed.

I'm kicking in a virtual prize pot of FSE100,000:

Best Hand 75,000
Second Best Hand 20,000
Third Best Hand 5,000

If anyone would like to sweeten the pot, please let me know.
Brad Crockett
CZVR Chief