CZVR September NOTAM

CZVR FIR Approved NOTAMs to be used while Controlling/Flying

Moderators: CZVR Admin Staff, Facility Engineer

Tomas Hansson
Site Admin

CZVR September NOTAM

Post by Tomas Hansson » 01 Sep 2016, 15:27

August was a busy month for us and we are getting an influx of between one and two new students per week. Make sure to say hello to them on Teamspeak as they join up. We continue to have a major presence on the scopes which in turn attracts pilots and students. Here are the stats from VATSIM’s Iron Mic’ Award for the last four weeks:
  • Week 31 - Tower: 3rd place, Approach: 2nd place(!)
  • Week 32 - Tower: 13th place, Approach: 2nd place(!)
  • Week 33 - Tower: 4th place, Approach: 5th place, Centre: 3rd place
  • Week 34 - Approach: 3rd place, Centre: 1st place
Amazing! Thank you all for your hard work on the scopes!

Below are a few items that I want to highlight and provide guidance on:

Victoria calm wind runway
Effective immediately, we will be switching the Victoria (CYYJ) calm wind runway to 09. I believe this better aligns with real-world operations. In addition, the departure procedure is simpler and arrivals to runway 09 have an ILS for guidance while runway 27 only has a Localizer.

Vancouver taxiway Juliet
There has been some confusion both among us controllers and among pilots what the procedure should be for taxiway J south of K. With the different versions of scenery used among the pilots, it often is not clear which taxiway to follow. The main reason for a potential conflict are aircraft parked at the gates 39-43 which appear to totally block taxiway J. In order to avoid this conflict, the new SOP is not to use taxiway J south of K when aircraft are parked at gate 39-43. The type of aircraft that you are taxiing has no impact on this SOP. It is left up to the controller how to proceed with taxi instructions with the recommended actions being, in order of preference:
  1. Ask if the pilot has taxiway K and/or V and can accept that route
  2. Provide progressive taxi instructions along K and V
  3. Depart aircraft from runway 08L/26R
With this procedure in place, it will no longer be necessary to approve a push onto taxiway J from gates 39-43. This being VATSIM, we may get the occasional pop-up aircraft at the gate and will need to do some quick thinking in order to route the taxiing aircraft around the “obstacle”.

Mandatory Frequency (MF) operations
After doing some research of our major airports, I have determined that the following airports have a mandatory frequency (let me know if I have missed any major ones):
  • Castlegar - CYCG
  • Kamloops - CYKA
  • Nanaimo - CYCD
  • Port Hardy - CYZT
  • Prince Rupert - CYPR
  • Sandspit - CYZP
  • Terrace - CYXT
  • Victoria Harbour - CYWH
For those of you who are not familiar with Mandatory Frequency (MF) operations, here is a link: http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Page ... 20Airports

On VATSIM we will continue to treat the airport as an uncontrolled airport but instead of telling the pilot to monitor Unicom, we will advise them to stay on the Terminal/Centre frequency and to make announcements over voice. Traffic load permitting, we will provide pilots within an MF control zone with weather information and information on traffic in the vicinity.

Feedback to pilots
We have received a fair amount of feedback from pilots in our airspace, some positive and some negative. Based on this, I would like to request that the ATC frequency, both voice and text, only shall be used for professional ATC clearances and instructions. Any feedback to pilots must be given via private message (PM). Any negative feedback or open criticism should be avoided unless it is constructed in such a way that you feel it will positively contribute to a pilot's interaction and performance in future flights. We do get a fair number of new pilots, many of them who have difficulties following instructions or controlling their aircraft - even after several attempts. At all times do we need to keep in mind that we are dealing with simulated traffic and VATSIM encourages training. This works both ways where we have controllers on positions still learning the airspace and the correct phraseology. If a pilot intentionally refuses to follow instruction, you need to call a Supervisor using the “.wallop” command. At no time should we confront such pilots. Most of the time a pilot is still trying to learn the ins and outs of the simulated environment and some positive criticism - using PM - may actually improve their enjoyment of VATSIM.
Tomas Hansson